Monday, December 14, 2009

Monday Reflections



We spent the day in Paril, a small barangay in the depth of the mountains of Cebu, Philippines. My imagination could not do this area justice. As we drove up to these small communities, we passed through some of the most beautiful mountains I have ever seen in my life. Mothers were hard at work with their small children by their side, people passed us on one lane roads on motorcycles with more than the legal limit of people on the back, and livestock grazed on the side of the cliffs just feet away from the front door of family homes. From about a half mile away from the gates of the Paril High School, we began seeing small children dressed in Boy Scout and Girl Scout uniforms waving American and Philippine flags. This community had a heartfelt welcome for the University of Louisville students, calling our school the "best in America" and calling us their "early Christmas gifts." These people who have very close to nothing gave us a hero's welcome into their community. The children called us beautiful and watched our every move, the mothers dressed their babies up and brought them to the celebration, the students in the classroom were so eager to learn. These people who have nothing have taught me lessons about life that mean everything. These small villages in the middle of the mountains in an area you can't find on a map sang Christmas songs, spoke amazing English and talked with us about our lives with bright eyes and warm hearts. The people of these villages have "made my heart drop." We have 4 more days left here and these last 9 hours have really put my life in perspective. ---Rachel Noble

1 comment:

  1. I miss you Rachel! I'm so glad this is here for me to see and read. It was so beautiful, I just cried (yes, surprise I know, I cried).

    I am so amazed at how inspiring and uplifting the people of Cebu are. I hope you all bring back stories for me!

    ReplyDelete